17: Managing the Narcissist in Your Life
- Gemma Gladstone
- December 24, 2020
As promised, we are continuing with the theme of narcissism. Some of us have no choice but to live with a narcissist or be around one at certain times. That is usually not very easy to do, so, today we will be talking about ways you can manage the narcissist in your life when you cannot escape having to spend time around them. It could be a parent, a sibling, a relative, an in-law, a boss, or even a work colleague.
Christmas tends to be one of those times when we find ourselves having to sit around a table with someone whose company we would normally prefer to avoid. A narcissist is someone who is at the core of it, very self-absorbed, and their behavior can be challenging and difficult to deal with. Interacting with a narcissist is likely to trigger all of your schemas, so it is helpful to know what you can do to manage the situation. Be sure to stay tuned today to get some tips and find out the best course of action to take when you cannot avoid spending some time with the narcissist in your life.
- The core qualities of a narcissist.
- The narcissistic parent.
- Why narcissists tend to blame others.
- The covert narcissist.
- Boundaries are necessary for your mental health, but they can sometimes be hard to define.
- Justine shares some ways that you can manage a narcissist.
- The way that narcissists behave can make it difficult to be around them. Justine and Gemma share some tips for making it a little easier.
- Practicing interpersonal mindfulness.
- Sometimes, relationships are very difficult and non-manageable.
- What you can do to prepare yourself before spending time with a narcissist.
- Some ways to protect yourself.
Links and resources:
Email Gemma and Justine at firstname.lastname@example.org
Go to the Good Mood Clinic website podcast page to download your free guide, which talks about the characteristics of an emotionally available partner.