19: Mother Knows Best: When your Mother is Narcissistic
- Gemma Gladstone
- January 21, 2021
We are continuing with our theme of narcissism, and today we are focusing on relationships with narcissistic parents. People who were raised by narcissistic parents struggle with guilt. They have trouble expressing what they think and feel about things because they worry about how people will respond to them, and whether or not people will listen to what they say, and take them seriously without judging them.
Narcissists gaslight, invalidate and dismiss people. And they are also overly critical and often play the victim. Those are things that tend to create a subjugated response from people, and as a result, narcissistic parents cause a lot of schemas in their children. In this episode, we will be looking at how your relationship with a narcissistic parent could be affecting you. We will talk about why narcissists cannot take criticism, how you would know that you got parented by a narcissist, understanding how your schemas and coping styles got shaped by a narcissistic parent, and the traumatic effects of being loved conditionally. Be sure to stay tuned today to find out how narcissistic parents operate and learn how to deal with the consequences of having grown up in a narcissistic situation.
- Why it’s so hard to be authentic in the presence of a narcissistic parent.
- Why narcissists cannot bear criticism.
- How a narcissistic parent tends to cope with criticism.
- How you would know that you are getting parented by a narcissist.
- Understanding your schemas and coping styles, and learning how they got shaped by the schemas and coping styles of your narcissistic parent.
- Narcissistic parents tend to have a fantasy that their children are just like them.
- The traumatic effects of narcissistic parents turning on their children and becoming punitive.
- The effects of being parented by a narcissist who is only capable of loving conditionally.
- Looking at competitive mother syndrome.
- Why narcissists often become alcoholics.
- Why it is important to get therapy if you were raised by a narcissistic parent.
- Why self-doubt is a common consequence of having been raised by a narcissist.
- Disentangling the confusion.
Links and resources:
Email Gemma and Justine at email@example.com
Go to the Good Mood Clinic website podcast page to download your free guide, which talks about the characteristics of an emotionally available partner.