77. The Heart of the Matter: Understanding Our Core Emotional Needs
- Gemma Gladstone
- February 26, 2023
Welcome to another episode of The Good Mood Clinic Podcast!
NEW! Schema Circle Membership
We have launched our new membership program!! Are you ready to go to the next level in your self-development using the clarity, wisdom and insights from Schema Therapy? We’d love to have you join us.
Have a look at ALL our resources and products here
In today’s episode we discuss core emotional needs and why they are so important for humans throughout our life. We are born into the world with needs and our emotional, social, physical and psychological well-being depends upon them. Our early care-givers are responsible for meeting our needs and as we grow and develop both ourselves and other people play a role in meeting emotional needs .
The needs discussed are:
- safety, stability & predictability
- secure, loving, nurturing bond (warmth, validation, ‘being seen’)
- autonomy & growing independence
- expression of emotions, needs, thoughts (allowance of authenticity)
- spontaneity, creativity & play
- realistic limits, self-discipline, impulse control
In schema therapy, early maladaptive schemas develop when these needs are not adequately met or are violated in some way.